Volunteerism is a cornerstone of the Village model
, drawing upon the untapped capacity of people in our communities to support each other.
Our Village has a “volunteer-first” policy
, finding a qualified volunteer to fulfill a request before referring members to a commercial vendor.
Ashby Village volunteers include members, their children, college students, empty nesters, retirees, and many others from the community.
Some of the benefits volunteers experience
- Staying active – physically, mentally and socially
- Connecting with others, and feeling part of community
- Putting talents, skills and capacities to good use
- Paying it forward – knowing that someday each of us will also need support
- Complete the Volunteer Application
- Provide two personal references (not family members)
- Participate in a 20-30 minute in-person interview with our volunteers placement coordinators
- Provide identification for a criminal background check and a DMV records check (if driving)
- Participate in a half-day Volunteer Orientation and Training, which is generally offered quarterly
- Sign our Volunteer Code of Ethics
To meet the requirements of our background checks policy, a social security number is required.
We may be able to accommodate office or event volunteering for international prospective volunteers without a social security number.
WAYS YOU CAN HELP:
with daily living needs:
- Providing transportation to medical appointments
- Helping with minor household repair
- Computer and technology support
- Light gardening
- Pet Care
- Friendly visitor
Supporting the organization
- Outreach and Events
- Communication and Marketing
- Graphic Design
- Managing Projects
- Administrative Support
Volunteer to Volunteer (V2V) Program:
Groups of volunteers working together in several ways:
- Village Hearts N' Hands
: doing half day projects together at member homes, e.g., gardening, organizing, repairs, painting, etc.
- Volunteer B' Cause
: assisting local non-profit organizations who need help with specific projects
: fun activities that offer a chance to get to know other volunteers while having a good time.
Download the PDF flyer of the Volunteer Program
Read about 2017 Play-It-Forward Dragon Max boat racing and check out the 2017 and 2016 videos
of our day of fun!