RSVP: Rochelle Lefkowitz (firstname.lastname@example.org)
When: Friday, March 5, 10 AM - 11:30 AM
Where: Zoom - RSVP for Zoom link
Open to: Members of Ashby Village and SF Village
Let’s Take Action on Climate Change Together:
A Collaboration between SF Village and Ashby Village
An exploratory meeting
The pace of climate change is accelerating and so must our response to it. Individual lifestyle changes are important, but the climate crisis requires collective solutions if we are going to slow change and prevent devastation of our planet.
The Biden Administration will coordinate structural change at the policy level, along with states like California, Oregon and Washington. But there is much we can do at the local community level, and at the state level. Villages are well-suited to join this effort.
Bill Haskell, SF Village board member, has been collaborating with Rochelle Lefkowitz, Ashby Village board member, so that together, we can harness the power of older adults who are determined to leave future generations a planet that will sustain them.
So far, about 30 members of SF Village and Ashby Village have expressed interest in attending this exploratory meeting. Several options are on the table, such as joining with an existing nonprofit focused on climate action. This exploratory meeting is being held with the support of Village Movement California.
Below is a summary of organizations and speakers who will be presenting:
• 1,000 Grandmothers for Future Generations: Bay Area: Elder women working to address the climate crisis. Auxiliary members include - men, friends and relations, young and old. Particularly focused on climate justice. Presenter: Rochelle Towers.
• Elders Climate Action: NorCal Chapter: Mobilizing elders to address climate change while there is still time to protect the well-being of our grandchildren and future generations. Dedicated to using the power of our caring, wisdom and our numbers to push for strong policies to reduce greenhouse gases in our atmosphere to a level consistent with life thriving on our planet. Presenter: Todd Weber.
• Active Allies: Working to advance climate action and climate justice through youth employment and intergenerational collaboration. Sponsors, Mentors, Advisors, and Project Managers all are working together to defend, repair, and regenerate our communities and our world. As individuals, we’re limited in what we can achieve. Presenters: Felix Kramer & Costanza Gonzalo.
• 350 Bay Area: Volunteers, working to: (1) raise awareness and urgency about the climate crisis; (2) mobilize to demand action to protect us all from the worst impacts; (3) support young people calling for a livable planet; and (4) dig into policy options to get emissions reductions actions passed. Presenters: Nan Farley & Nik Evasco.
• Sierra Club: Bay Area: One of the most enduring environmental organizations in the nation, the Sierra Club practices and promotes the responsible use of the earth's ecosystems and resources. Its mission is to educate and enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment; and to use all lawful means to carry out these objectives. Presenter: Julia Foote.
Even if you have already expressed interest, or if you now want to participate and are letting us know for the first time, we need you to RSVP to the people listed below – so that we can: (1) have an accurate count of attendees; & (2) send you a Zoom invitation to this upcoming meeting.
• If you are an SF Village member and would like to participate in this exploratory meeting, send your RSVP to Bill Haskell at: email@example.com.
• If you are an Ashby Village member and would like to participate in this exploratory meeting, send your RSVP to Rochelle Lefkowitz at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is the first time SF Village and Ashby Village have collaborated to create what we believe will be an exciting, informative climate action initiative. We hope you will join us in discovering how we will leverage our numbers to make a lasting difference for generations to come. When we join together, our power will be a force to be reckoned with. The climate crisis requires that force!
PLEASE NOTE: If you are not able to attend this exploratory meeting and would like to hear the presentations from the climate action organizations, alert Bill Haskell or Rochelle Lefkowitz – so they can have the link to the presentations sent to you.